The Parchment

The Parchment

February 28, 2011

The tale of Judica, the starfish.

Day three: a photo that makes you happy.



Today's task, post a photo that makes me happy.  Does it seem strange that the picture is a starfish hanging out in an octopus sand mold? Allow me to share with you the tale of Judica, the starfish.

During the warm, lazy days of summer, one of my favorite things to do is to scoop up my nieces and cart them off to the beach. We're blessed not to live so far away from the beach. I'm doubly blessed that they love to go with me.

The day this particular photo was taken, Boo and I were at the beach by ourselves.  Moo was sick and the other adults had to work or were otherwise occupied (strange how that's usually the case with those adults...).  So we loaded up our backpack and hit the sand.

On arriving at the beach, we claimed our spot and headed toward the gully to splash awhile.  Wonder of wonders, what did we see? What seemed to be a thousand starfish hiding in the gully and sprinkling the sand.  In her excitement, 6 year old Boo really wanted to keep them all to show everyone at home.
After much discussion, she was convinced that they would be much better off if we returned them to the big water.

We spent half our time at the beach that day throwing the starfish back.  One lone starfish did she convince me to set aside for photo ops.  Immediately, our captive was named Judica and declared to be a much loved pet.

Why does that picture of Judica make me happy? 
Boo is 8 now. As she grows older, she may not remember that day at the beach, when it was just the two of us. But when I see that picture, I remember.
And it makes me happy.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers